Wednesday, October 21, 2009

We Love You, Popi!

Popi (Heath's father) passed away today. He had a massive stroke on Monday. I can't even begin to express how sad our family is. Having the gospel in our lives is a huge comfort, but it does not take away the sting we feel at having lost someone so important to us. Popi was a wonderful father to Heath, a great father-in-law to me, and a loving grandfather to Micah and Abby. We love you, Popi and will miss you so much. How grateful we are to know that we will see you again.
This picture was taken in July, at great grandma Garner's funeral. Popi was so good to her. He visited great grandma and grandpa everyday and helped them out in so many ways. He mowed their lawn, weeded, ran errands, and sat with them when they needed him most. I'm sure that great grandma was there to greet her son this morning. But, I also think she was probably a bit sad that his time on earth with his family was cut so short.

Abby loved it when Popi held her. I think she liked that he was tall and she could see the world from his perspective.

Heath was really proud of this picture. Four generations of Garner men.
Top L to R Heath & Micah
Bottom L to R Michael & Great Grandpa
Micah and Popi. Micah loved that Popi shared his dogs with him. He also loved watching the stars with Popi. It hurts to think that Micah and Abby did not get enough time with him.

In this picture, Popi was getting ready to go home, after a visit to our house. Micah did not want him to go. I think that says a lot.

Ian, Gammy, Micah, Popi
We love you all so much.

Josh, Popi, Jeremy, Ian, Heath & Micah at Jared's funeral in August. I know Jared was there to meet Popi too.

This is Popi at Jared's funeral. Just like he always did- he was taking care of great grandpa. Even in the midst of his own pain, at the loss of his son, he was guiding grandpa and making sure he was taken care of and protected.
I am so fortunate to be a member of the Garner family. From day one, they took me in and have loved and accepted me as if I was their own. I loved my quiet conversations with Michael and the humor he so frequently shared with me. I loved his gentleness with Micah and Abby, and they way he showed them how much they were loved. He will be greatly missed.
We love you, Popi!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Carrie, I feel for you guys. Please, PLEASE let me know what I can do for you. I'll even babysit your sick kids- as long as they have the swine flu anyways! :) Know that we love you and are thinking of you!

Nathan said...

You all are amazing with how you're handling everything.

Please remember that you have many people waiting in the wings to help.

Lydia said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Our prayer will be with you.